24/7 Emergency Claim

Find Answers to Frequently Asked Insurance Questions

The Advantages of Using an Independent Insurance Broker

As an independent insurance broker, Carnaghan Thorne Insurance works for you, not the insurance company. An independent broker can shop among various insurance carriers to find the right coverage for your needs and they are your ally when it is time to purchase a new policy, upgrade your current coverage, or make a claim.

The Right Coverage at the Most Affordable Price

As an independent insurance broker our clients are our partners. It is in our interest to ensure that you are satisfied with the extent of your coverage, premium amounts and service so that you remain our customer. We will work with you to understand your needs and to find the right coverage at the most affordable price, even if we have to approach several companies before arriving at a satisfactory conclusion. Thanks to our many years of experience we can provide you with valuable information and objective advice if it becomes necessary to file a claim.

Clarification & Advice

Like any industry, insurance providers use technical language and specialized terminology when describing their products and processes. Our knowledgeable and experienced brokers can interpret unfamiliar jargon and explain how they affect you. This assistance can be particularly valuable when your insurance needs change and becomes more complex.

Licensed & Certified

There are well established rules in place regarding the education and licensing of brokers in Canada, so you can be assured that all of our associates are certified professionals. Please take a look at the information below to find answers to those questions we hear most often and then contact us to learn more or to schedule a personal consultation to discuss your needs.

Frequently Asked Questions

Does a deductible always apply?

Each incident resulting in a loss or damage to your automobile that is covered under either the Direct Compensation or Loss of or Damage to Your Automobile sections of your insurance policy, except (in most provinces) loss or damage caused by fire, lightning or theft of the entire vehicle, will be subject to the applicable deductible. 

What happens if my vehicle is damaged in an accident but I don’t have Physical Damage coverage?

For New Brunswick residents, the fault or responsibility of each driver is considered. The amount of compensation will depend on your role in the accident. E.g., if the other driver has been found to be at full or partial fault, you are able to claim for damages. But without Physical Damage coverage, you will not be compensated for the portion of damages for which you have been deemed responsible. In other provinces, the driver may be required to claim directly against the at fault party. Please consult your claims representative.

Is a rental car supplied to me if I have an accident?

In New Brunswick, if you are involved in an accident in which another driver is determined to be 100% at fault, your own insurance company, under the Direct Compensation Agreement (DCA), will supply you with a rental vehicle while yours is being repaired.

If fault for an accident is determined to be shared by both yourself and another driver and you have not purchased coverage under the Loss of Use Endorsement (see Additional Coverages section on your own policy), you will only receive partial coverage for the total cost of a rental vehicle in the proportion that the other driver is determined to be at fault.

If you are involved in an accident where you are 100% at fault or fault is shared by both yourself and another driver and you have purchased coverage under the Loss of Use Endorsement (see Additional Coverages section on your own policy) your insurer will provide you with a rental vehicle while yours is being repaired.


Are the contents of my car covered?

Any contents of your vehicle that are permanently attached to, or whose purpose is for the usual use and operation of the actual vehicle are covered. The contents of your vehicle that are not permanently attached may be covered under your Homeowners or Tenants insurance policy.

Is my car covered if someone else is driving it?

Yes, provided the person who is driving it is:

  • Legally entitled by law to operate a motor vehicle
  • Is using it with your permission
  • Has not committed an offence under the Criminal Code of Canada while operating your vehicle
  • Has not contravened the prohibited uses clause as outlined in your policy (e.g. racing)

Are all anti-theft devices equally effective?

No, they are not all the same. Just like car stereos, anti-theft devices are available in a variety of different makes, models, styles and qualities that range from those that will sound an alarm if someone breaks into your car to those that will automatically shut the vehicle down if the proper key is not used. Please refer to information found at the Vehicle Information Centre of Canada (VICC) site.

Will my premium likely go up if I am involved in one not-at-fault accident?

It is recommended that you speak with your broker to discuss any questions you may have regarding the impact your loss many have on your premium.

How is at fault determined in an accident?

In New Brunswick, fault is determined according to Fault Determination Rules which are part of the Insurance Act. The Fault Determination Rules outline different accident scenarios. Fault and degree of fault are allocated to each driver, based on which scenario most closely fits the accident. 

Once you have reported the circumstances of an accident to your insurance adjuster he or she will speak to the adjuster representing the other party and agree on the fault allocation. Extenuating circumstances, such as slippery road conditions, don’t enter into the decision. 

In other provinces, fault may be determined by settlement charts or fault may be determined based on common law and the existing rules of the road.

How long does an accident or conviction stay on your record?

For accidents, it varies by province and/or driving record. Driving records usually take into consideration any convictions within 3 years, although this may be extended if there is a licence suspension.